Sunday, August 26, 2012

C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America

What if the South had won the war?  Would slavery still exist today?  What would a Ken Burns documentary about the "War of Northern Aggression" look like?  These and many more questions are answered by the "mockumentary" C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America (2006).  We rented the film last night and had a lot of good laughs.  Some of the scenes were hilarious.  More troubling were some of the items that were presented in the film as if made up -- but they weren't.  Anyone who grew up in the US in the Fifties or Sixties can probably remember other instances of racism in advertizing or on TV.  If you rent the film, make sure to watch the extra materials, including information about the historical basis for some of the things portrayed in the film.  The film stays true to the Oscar Wilde quote that it cites:  "If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."  Given the film's small budget, Kevin Willmott created a good film.

Jefferson Davis moves into the White House
Abraham Lincoln is exiled to Canada.

There really was a tobacco company
by this name from the 1880's to the
early part of the 20th Century.
 
Three restaurants operated under
this name in Utah, Washington, and Oregon
from the Mid-Twenties to the late Fifties.
 

3 comments:

margaret21 said...


I’ve just been nominated for the One Lovely Blog Award, as you can see if you link to http://margaret21.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/one-lovely-blog-award/ In my turn, I’d like to nominate your blog. You’re under no obligation to nominate any blogs in your turn, but please do if you’d like to. The ‘rules’ I was asked to adhere to are at the bottom of my post. I so enjoy your blog, and I’m glad to have the chance to say a public ‘thank you’.

Bloggerboy said...

Thanks Margaret! I appreciate your regular readership and comments. I'm a bit pre-occupied with work right now but will keep trying to post as time permits.

Stephen Brassawe said...

First and foremost, I dropped by to see what you are up to. As usual, you are culturally informative here.

Second, and related to your cultural informativeness, I also wished to thank you for directing me to Shantyboat. You expressed some curiosity as to what I would think of it if I read it. I did in fact read it, and you can find my thoughts here:

http://stevebrassawe.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/shantyboat/