Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Things I Don't Understand

I really don't want to get caught up in political discussions at this site, but I find myself scratching my head about the facts in the current sex scandal in the US.  Did I mention that I am tired of sex scandals in the US?  I find them boring and, in all but the most extreme cases, irrelevant.

1.  A woman sends an harrassing e-mail to another woman.
2.  The other woman takes the mail to the FBI.
3.  The FBI gets involved.

[Stop right here.  Since when does the FBI get involved when two women have a spat, presumably over a shared [lover] male friend via e-mail?  I can understand how a woman with a certain status, having access to powerful people, might think that the FBI is there to do her bidding, but I just don't understand how the FBI felt justified in investigating such a situation.  What am I missing?  UPDATE:  "Ms. Kelley, a volunteer who organizes social events for military personnel in the Tampa area, complained in May about the emails to a friend who is an FBI agent. That agent referred it to a cyber crimes unit, which opened an investigation.  However, supervisors soon became concerned that the initial agent might have grown obsessed with the matter, and prohibited him from any role in the investigation, according to the officials.  The FBI officials found that he had sent shirtless pictures of himself to Ms. Kelley, according to the people familiar with the probe."  OK, now this is starting to make sense.]

4.  The FBI plunders the first woman's e-mail account.

[Stop right here.  Don't you need a warrant to do that?  What am I missing?]

5.  The FBI finds evidence that the first woman might have had an affair with the head of the CIA.  The FBI decides to investigate further.

[Stop right here.  ... Oh, never mind.]

6.  Someone at the FBI, a "whistleblower" goes to Congress with the information.

[I give up.]

3 comments:

Eugene Knapik said...

special, isn't it?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stagg said...

America is a odd place...mostly of it's own creation-

STAGG